A perfectly smoked bologna can be embraced pretty much any time of the day. There are endless possibilities to have it – you may like it on your favorite bread or burger buns, cubed, or served hot or cold. There’s no one right to have it! What should be bothered about instead is having the best smoked BBQ bologna recipe that makes your bologna melt-in-mouth, flavorful inside out, and everyone-is-praising-me good.
To start with, you’ll need to get a whole chub of bologna. You can slice or cube it later according to your preference. The ingredients we’ve used are pretty straightforward. As the bologna is already cooked, you just need to focus on smoking it thoroughly. Taking it low and slow will ensure you get that crispy brown crust outside and smokey flavor inside.
Don’t keep it in the smoker for more than 4 hours as it will dry out. Don’t undersmoke it either. The least time to smoke should be 2 hours.
Preheat your smoker for at least 5 minutes. Try to keep the temperature between 225-250 degrees Fahrenheit. Check out the best smokers available here.
We would suggest you smoke your bologna on a medium smoke wood or pellet such as hickory, pecan, or apple wood. Although you can go with any other that you like.
The ingredients are simple: brown sugar, yellow mustard, black pepper, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. You can add spicy mustard too, if you want to spice it up a bit more. The mustard acts as a binder and evenly covers the slab with the rub. Score the chub with a paring knife in a criss-cross manner, ending up with ½ to 1 inches squared marks, each about ½ inch deep.
Best smoked BBQ bologna recipe
- 2 lbs bologna chub
For the rub
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1.5 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper adjust to your taste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Score the chub with a paring knife both vertically and horizontally, in a criss-cross manner.
- Make the cuts about half an inch deep.
- Apply the rub thoroughly including the spaces between the cuts.
- Place the bologna chub in a preheated smoker at 225°F.
- Apply the rub again and again, every half an hour while the chub is in the smoker.
- Keep checking your chub to know when it's done. It wil take about 2 hours.
- Take it out and serve hot. You can also chill to eat it cold.